“I’m doing research,” I reply.
Dictionary definition of ‘research’ – investigation esp scientific study to discover facts.
Reality of my ‘research’ –
• Type in key words to Google
• Follow first link
• Read and jot down a couple of interesting and informative facts on subject for novel
• See link to something unrelated but interesting – click
• An hour later realise you are watching funny cat videos again
• Try to find original Google search results on one of ridiculous number of open tabs
• Get distracted by Facebook update from friend, follow link to quiz…
• Notice another hour has disappeared
• Get a cup of tea and give self a good talking to about time-wasting
• Close down distracting tabs and stare at Google page – what was I researching again?
Whilst watching cats on the internet is highly entertaining it really is not moving my novel forward. I am particularly liking animal photo bombs at the moment. However, the reality is that even with all the distractions I know I can find out what I need to know and a million other things in a nanosecond (assuming I can stay focused for that long!)
I don’t think the internet is the only source you should rely on for research. For my first novel one of characters was an actor and quite a few scenes were on a film set. Whilst I was able to look up some things about working in the film industry it wasn’t sufficient to give me confidence that it was accurate and realistic.
Thankfully a friend of a friend is a TV scriptwriter but has also done some very successful book to film adaptations. She was invaluable in steering me in the right direction and checking my facts.
I am currently researching free-running. How hard would this be without the internet? I marvel at the amazing invention the internet is (okay, I know I sound ancient now, but it is one of the things in the world that genuinely is awesome).
Thanks to the internet I have discovered free running groups in my area, made contact with some incredibly helpful individuals and soon all I ever wanted to know about free running will be answered. How would this ever have been possible without the internet?
I’m not saying I haven’t watched cat videos in the process but that just demonstrates my amazing multi-tasking ability.
Novel Kicks is a blog for story tellers and book lovers.