“I’m doing research,” I reply.
Dictionary definition of ‘research’ – investigation esp scientific study to discover facts.
Reality of my ‘research’ –
• Type in key words to Google
• Follow first link
• Read and jot down a couple of interesting and informative facts on subject for novel
• See link to something unrelated but interesting – click
• An hour later realise you are watching funny cat videos again
• Try to find original Google search results on one of ridiculous number of open tabs
• Get distracted by Facebook update from friend, follow link to quiz…
• Notice another hour has disappeared
• Get a cup of tea and give self a good talking to about time-wasting
• Close down distracting tabs and stare at Google page – what was I researching again?
Whilst watching cats on the internet is highly entertaining it really is not moving my novel forward. I am particularly liking animal photo bombs at the moment. However, the reality is that even with all the distractions I know I can find out what I need to know and a million other things in a nanosecond (assuming I can stay focused for that long!)
I don’t think the internet is the only source you should rely on for research. For my first novel one of characters was an actor and quite a few scenes were on a film set. Whilst I was able to look up some things about working in the film industry it wasn’t sufficient to give me confidence that it was accurate and realistic.
Thankfully a friend of a friend is a TV scriptwriter but has also done some very successful book to film adaptations. She was invaluable in steering me in the right direction and checking my facts.
I am currently researching free-running. How hard would this be without the internet? I marvel at the amazing invention the internet is (okay, I know I sound ancient now, but it is one of the things in the world that genuinely is awesome).
Thanks to the internet I have discovered free running groups in my area, made contact with some incredibly helpful individuals and soon all I ever wanted to know about free running will be answered. How would this ever have been possible without the internet?
I’m not saying I haven’t watched cat videos in the process but that just demonstrates my amazing multi-tasking ability.
Novel Kicks is a blog for story tellers and book lovers.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.